So you want to be a pinup model or do you just want to model for fun? Whatever the reason for your choice to model I will give you some of helpful tips to get you started!
- Study! Look through pinup pages on Facebook, websites, and Youtube to study posing and looks. Youtube is very helpful because there are tutorials on how to pose and what look it will create for your body. A DVD that I absolutely love that is extremely helpful is, "How to be a Pinup Model" with burlesque and pinup lovelies, Bettina May and Go-Go Amy. It's short and simple and to the point. For Youtube I recently discovered a pinup by the name of Cherry Doll Face she is perfect for explaining poses, and what and what not to do with your hands and feet.
- Take selfies! It may sound silly to some but it's a great way to look at how you look in front of the camera...even if it's with your phone. Also practicing in the mirror is a great way to see what look you feel the most comfortable with.
- Drink and eat healthy! I swear by water and green tea! All the time every time, it's okay to have soda every once in awhile or a glass of wine (I'm absolutely a wine gal!) But everything must be done in moderation. Water flushes everything out in your system and of course keeps you hydrated. Green tea is an excellent what I call antibiotic. It gets rid of the toxins in your body, especially if you have crazy hormones and are prone to swollen lymph nodes (such as myself). Green tea, water, and walking around the block help with swollen lymph nodes (and lots of Ibuprofen) and makes your body feel rejuvenated. Eating healthy like veggies and fruit give you a healthier look and clears up your skin. I hate working out and walking is the only "work out" I do. Eating healthy, getting 8-9 hours of sleep before a photo shoot will make you feel ready for each shoot. Partying and drinking makes it that much harder for editing on the photographer and why would you put your photographer through so much work? :-)
- Research! Research for photographers in your area, look at their portfolios and see which one you think would be a good fit as well as compare pricing that fits your budget.
- Get the look! Again, Youtube will be your best friend, makeup and hair tutorials galore! Relaxed, natural, short, or long Youtube is your friend! Or you could buy vintage hair/makeup books, Amazon is your new best friend. You can also go to www.pinuppassion.com I started there when I was looking at how to get the looks I wanted as well as Youtube and looking at beautiful pinup lovelies, like Angelique Noire, Ashleeta, Dita von Teese, and Lili Rose.
- Wig it out! Wigs are great for the retro look, they're diverse, and if you just don't feel like doing your hair, throw a wig on! There are quite a few pinup lovelies that rock "wig it out" very well!
- Have fun! The most important thing in the retro world whether it's rockabilly, burlesque, or pinup, have fun! The best thing about the pinup/rockabilly world is that there is no standard look. There are so many different types of pinups; alternative, gothic, rockabilly, classic, tattooed, and even if you're an expecting mother, there's a pinup look for that! So any size, age, or look you can be a pinup model! Now that you have those tips, "strike a pose!"
- *One more thing! NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR RED LIPSTICK! There's nothing worse than looking dolled up and your lipstick is fading only to find out that you can't reapply, the worse thing ever! Trust me I know! Buy as many as you can and always have an extra one in every purse!