Why I'm quitting Black Pinups




    One January 12, 2020 I made an announcement that I am ending the run of Black Pinups magazine after the 30th issue. My heart is broken over this and I no longer know what to do regarding the brand of Black Pinups. It pains me to end it but it has been a lot of work to produce a magazine without a staff, running out of ideas on what to write about and trying to get people to buy the magazine. I don't want to end it but I have to do. Having to work on a month of writing, gathering pictures, editing, and graphic designing only to have three people on a monthly basis was heartbreaking. I have so many followers around the world and to have such poor sales more than upset me, it's in words I can't describe. I had such great vision for it and wanted to have this magazine become my only source of income. I wanted to be like Anna Wintour (editor-in-chief of Vogue). So many countless sleepless nights and obsessing over the magazine, this magazine was my child, the one thing that made me so happy when I would look at the covers of the magazine on my wall. 

    I remember the launch party of Black Pinups a nice little cocktail event it was the best day of my life. It was birthed on January 12th, the official birthdate of Black Pinups a year before in North Hollywood, CA. I was so excited about finishing the issue that I had a presale on December 30, 2013. And it was amazing! So many people bought the issue! I released it officially on January 12th. I was so happy and proud of releasing it and for Angelique Noire saying yes to be my cover model. At the time, Black Pinups was the only magazine dedicated to black women of the vintage lifestyle. And to this day it is still the only one. 





Black Pinups Launch Part 1-12-14

    I wish I could keep the magazine going but I'm doing a job of 20 or more people and I'm also running social media by myself as well as going to events to promote the magazine. This year at Viva Las Vegas 2020 will be the last time that I sell my magazine publicly. I plan to still continue working on my Black Pinups book now full time as well as blog and make YouTube videos, and eventually will work on a documentary on Black Pinups. I want to thank all of the cover models and models for submitting and allowing me to put you on my cover. I want to thank Viva Las Vegas for letting me host my Black Pinups meet up, the freelance contributors, and advertisers, and thank you to all the supporters that follow Black Pinups that keep spreading the word.

Black Pinups first Meetup - Viva Las Vegas 20 4-15-17



Comments

Popular Posts